Index - here

All newspaper articles and advertisements are from Papers Past - National Library of New Zealand or 
Trove - National Library of Australia unless otherwise stated.

Photographer's negatives - the most common question I am asked relates to the current location of photographer's negatives - see this post. 

I'm not able to provide any information about photographers other than that on this site.  I'm am also not able to date photographs or assist you in identifying people in photographs you may have.  I am unable to assist in locating the current location of business records of any photographer.

I recommend the Auckland City Library's website for more information about New Zealand photographers -

Links - here

ILES, Arthur James

Arthur James Iles
 born 10 June 1870, Oamaru reg. 1870/32195
son of Louisa Martha Davey and James Iles (photographer)
died 9 April 1943 Rotorua, reg. 1943/19950

 married firstly 1895 (divorced about 1916)
 Ripeka Rangimahora Parani Ututaonga [1] ("Rangi")
also known as Rebecca Elsie Utuatonga or Puckey

born 15 September 1874
daughter of Wiremu Ihaka Tihei Ututaonga and Maraea Te Hei Pounamu Ututaonga [1]
died 18 July 1938 at her son's residence, 39 Marlborough Street, Mt Eden, Auckland
buried Waikumete Cemetery

married 2ndly 12 June 1917, reg. 1917/3411
Ada Hunt
born Waiongona


1. Blanche Elsie Iles born 1896, reg. 1896/16182, died 1976, married 1stly 1915, reg. 1915/8755 Eugene Clifford, he died 18 December 1917, Hamilton (daughters Nola and Fannie),married 2ndly 1923, reg 1923/8647 Daniel Arthur Dinneen
2. Tawa Iles born 2 December 1897 Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, died 1977, reg. 1977/36065, married 1921, reg. 1921/8154 Dorothy Agnes Tongia Campbell  
3. Miro Iles, died 1975, wife of Charles Leslie Sunderland of Burwood, New South Wales
4. Heri Iles born circa 1902, reg. 1902/4806, died 1902 reg. 1902/676 aged 4 months or reg. 1902/6621 aged 6 months
5. Hori Iles born circa 1902, reg. 1902/4812, died 1902, reg. 1902/676 aged 4 months or reg. 1902/6621 aged 6 months
6. Rena Iles (or Rona) born circa 1903, reg. 1903/7436, died 1904 aged 4 months, reg, 1904/679   
7. Arthur James Iles born 2 July 1905, reg. 1905/2519, died 1972, reg. 1972/40960, married 1933, reg. 1933/9327, Dorothy Marion McNair   
8. Denzil Iles born 13 January 1907, reg. 1907/26089, died 1995, reg.  1995/54827  
9. Ronald Iles born circa 1908, reg. 1908/19476, died 1934 aged 26 years, reg. 1934/12905
10 others? 

Otago Daily Times, Issue 13706, 24 September 1906, Supplement
Louisa Martha Davey and James Iles married 1857, reg.  Sep 1857 Bath vol. 5c page 1010


Mr Iles, photographer, announces in another column that he has decided on closing his photographic studio in Peel-street on the 24th proximo, having accepted a-professional engagement in Wellington. During his sojourn here, Mr Iles has proved himself to be an artist of a high order, and in every instance his work has given the greatest satisfaction. The best proof of this fact is the extent of the patronage he has received during his stay. We should, therefore, recommend all those desirous of securing well executed photos to make a point of paying Mr He's studio a visit at the earliest date possible.

Tuapeka Times, Volume XXIV, Issue 1923, 20 August 1892

Mr Arthur Iles, the well-known Dunedin and Lawrence art photographer, is about to open a first-class studio at the Thames. Further particulars will be announced in a future issue.

Thames Star, Volume XXIV, Issue 7473, 17 July 1893

New Photographic Studio

Mr Iles new photographic studio, in Pollen street, was completed on Friday evening, and on Saturday afternoon was thrown open for general public inspection. During the afternoon and evening Mr lies' studio was visited by hundreds of people, and the crush at times was excessive. All were very pleased at having the opportunity of visiting the studio, and expressed themselves delighted with the place.

The windows were tastefully arranged with Mr Iles' South Island work, and the manner in which each likeness was finished called forth a unanimous expression of praise from the many people who inspected them The quality of the work shown will at once testify to Mr lies' skill as a photographer and artist. 

The visitor next enters a large vestibule, upon the walls of which are hung more specimens of Mr lies' work. The enlargements especially are worthy of mention, and it is at once seen that Mr Iles excels in this branch of photography. The mezzo tints which are on view in the vestible also deserve more than a passing notice. There is a softness and beauty about these prints which make them appear more like very fine engravings than portraits.

The workrooms on the ground floor are large and roomy, and are also well fitted up, showing that no trouble or expense has been spared. Proceeding up stairs we were shown into a good sized dressing room about sixteen feet square, in which all necessary articles for the comfort of patrons had been provided. Hung upon the walls we noticed specimens of our local artist - Mr H. D. Driver's - undoubted skill.

In the studio, which adjoins the dressing room, the arrangements made to secure good photographs being obtained are most complete. The size of the room is 35ft x 14ft. For lighting, a skylight and side windows are used, and the liberal employment of blinds and curtains, enables the operator to throw the light upon any part of the studio he desires to do, and to increase it, or decrease it, at will. A large camera stands in the middle of the room, fitted with the most recent improvements for securing instantaneous photographs. 
Several excellent life sized photographs of dogs and cats, are exhibited on the walls of the studio - and from the faithful manner in which they are executed, it is evident that Mr Iles is also proficient in the difficult branch of the art. The difficulty of obtaining a satisfactory pose in animals, so as to obtain a good natural picture, militates against success, but there can be no question that the pictures exhibited in Mr lies' studio show that this difficulty had been most completely surmounted.  The crayon drawing by Mr lies show also that he is an artist in that respect, and he appears as much at home as with the camera.

At the side of the studio is the dark room, fitted with slides of red and yellow glass, which are made so that they can be used either together, singly or altogether dispensed with. As the strength of light required in the process of photography is variable, it is necessary that some such device as this should be used. Having made a complete inspection of the premises and general arrangements, we have no hesitation in stating that the new studio is the most complete in this part of the colony we have seen, and we hope that Mr lies will meet with that success which his enterprise decidedly entitles him to, and that he will be liberally patronised.

Thames Advertiser, Volume XXVI, Issue 7641, 25 September 1893

Ani Doherty and son, Bob Doherty. Finch, C (Mrs), fl 1961:
Photographs of Maori. Ref: PAColl-6348-46. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.
by Arthur James Iles

Mr A. Iles, the well-known local art photographer, receives well-merited praise from the Christchurch Weekly Press for the excellent result achieved by him in the execution of a portrait of a Maori girl.

This work, entitled " A Maori Belle," occupies a place in the pages of the Press Christmas number, and is one of a series of photos which Mr Iles has for some time exhibited at his studio in Pollen street. In reviewing the Christmas illustrations the Press says : — "If our Japanese beauty is not a characteristic portrait, no such, objection can be urged against 'A Maori Belle,' who is a true type of our unequalled native race. In her balanced and intellectual head, handsome countenance, and dignified carriage, this girl shows all the best characteristics of a people that has been loved and respected by those who have known most of it. The melancholy expression is characteristic, too, yet the Maori is a laughter-loving race, full of high spirits and vivacity. . .. . Mr lies makes a specialty of Maori portraits, and has agencies in all the principal towns. We have had an opportunity of seeing some of these studies, and to judge by these, Mr Iles has been very successful in securing good subjects, while the posing and lighting are all that i could be desired."

Thames Star, Volume XXVI, Issue 7951, 23 January 1895

New Zealand Herald, Volume LVI, Issue 17086, 15 February 1919

Mr. A. J. Iles

The death has occurred at Rotorua of Mr. Arthur James lies, a well-known resident of the Rotorua and Thames districts. Mr. lies studied photography from his youth and was very successful as a portrayer of the Maori race. He was much interested in fishing, shooting and golf and was a founder of the Anglers' Club which later became the Rotorua Rod and Gun Club.

Mr. lies was at one time president of the Rotorua Chamber of Commerce and was identified with many movements for the welfare of the district. For 10 years he lived in Thames, but returned to make his home in Rotorua in 1900. He is survived by his second wife and by three sons and two daughters.

New Zealand Herald, Volume 80, Issue 24558, 14 April 1943

[1] Geni - - Managed by Stephen Te Ohia Ututaonga


James Treloar
Founder and President of the Hamilton Photographic Society

born circa 1882 Bolton, England

died 6 April 1945 Hamilton aged 63 years
married 1909, reg. 1909/4766
 Lily Neill  Reid

James Treloar by an unknown photographer

Partington's Mill, Auckland
by James Treloar

The death occurred this morning of Mr James Treloar, a member of the Hamilton Borough Council, aged 63. Born in Bolton, Lancashire, Mr Treloar came to New Zealand in 1904 and became foreman at a Thames iron foundry.
He moved to Hamilton in 1910 and with his brother, Mr S. P. Treloar, established an engineering workshop. He had a close association with the Methodist Church and gave 35 years' service to the youth movement. He was a past president of the Waikato Winter Show Association and the Hamilton Rotary Club, president of the Milking Machine Vendors' Association and president of the Waikato Society of Arts.
He had served on the Technical School Board of Manager's and the board of directors of the Y.M.C.A. Mr Treloar was elected to the Borough Council in 1941 and was chairman of the Gasworks Committee. He is survived by his wife and a son and daughter.
New Zealand Herald, Volume 82, Issue 25171, 7 April 1945


Photographs by unknown photographer/s
perhaps Gary Randell


CATER, James

James Cater

Succeeded John Nicol Crombie December 1871
Succeeded by Clarke Bros July 1873

Succeeded George Elgin Page, 256 Queen Street, Auckland December 1873
Succeeded by George Redfern May 1874

 Queen Street, Auckland
December 1871 to July 1873

Mr. Crombie, the photographer, notifies that he has disposed of his business to Mr. Cater, who will in future carry it on under the same management.

New Zealand Herald, Volume VIII, Issue 2453, 5 December 1871

 Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXVII, Issue 4473, 27 December 1871

We observe that Mr Cater, photographer, Queen-street, has taken a very excellent portrait of the new mail steamer Dakota, as she lay in the harbour previous to departure.

Auckland Star, Volume IV, Issue 903, 29 January 1873

The passengers by the ship Warwick, from London to this port on her last trip, yesterday presented Captain Skinner with a photograph of themselves and officers of the ship, grouped together on the deck of the Warwick. The photographs were taken by Mr. Cater.

Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXIX, Issue 4838, 27 February 1873

New Zealand Herald, Volume X, Issue 3643, 15 July 1873

New Zealand Herald, Volume X, Issue 3691, 9 September 1873

256 Queen Street, Auckland
 opposite New Market House
December 1873 to May 1874

Auckland Star, Volume IV, Issue 1203, 1 December 1873

Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXX, Issue 5209, 2 May 1874

It is not known if James Cater the chemist is the same person as James Cater the photographer.

Mr. James Cater, who was in business as a chemist in Hobson-street for many years, died at Grey Lynn on Monday.

Auckland Star, Volume XLII, Issue 261, 2 November 1911

Tomlinson and South

Tomlinson and South

The Hororata Hotel in 1898 or 1899
Thomas Charles Hickson, Proprietor
Hickson purchased the Hororata Hotel in January 1898, in June 1899 the hotel was transferred to Thomas West.
by Tomlinson and South

A Painful Tragedy. 
Death In An Hotel. 
A Chambermaid's Terrible Shock. 

This morning Thomas Charles Hickson, a publican, was found dead in his bedroom at the Al Hotel with his throat cut. It appears that Hickson, who has recently taken the Waiau Hotel, came into town by last night's north train, and engaged a room at the Al Hotel. He, with a friend who came down with him and also engaged a room at the same hotel, went out into town, and after having supper at Fail's Restaurant they spent the evening at Dix's Entertainment. They returned to the hotel about 10.30, and Hickson retired to bed almost immediately. This morning he came down to breakfast, and appeared well and cheerful. Shortly after breakfast he went out for a walk and returned about 10.30, and proceeded upstairs. Soon afterwards a chambermaid went to the bedroom to finish tidying it. To her horror she saw Hickson lying on the bed with a frightful gash in his throat, quite dead, and there was a new razor on the floor beside the bed. Mr Fox, the landlord, immediately telephoned for Dr Thomas, but on this arrival he could only pronounce life to be extinct. The police were informed, and the body was removed to the Morgue to await an inquest. It is understood that Hickson purchased the razor from an ironmonger close to the Al Hotel. 

Hickson was about fifty years of age, and leaves a wife, but no family. He was well known in Christchurch. When the Canterbury Tramway Company first started in Christchurch he was one of the first tram guards employed, and in that position was very popular. He left the employ of the company to act as storeman for the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, a position which be held for several years. He afterwards had the Coalgate Hotel and the Albion Hotel at Lyttelton, and upon leaving that he went for a trip to England. Upon returning he purchased the Sheffield Hotel, and lately sold that, and about a couple of months ago he took possession of the hotel at Waiau Ferry
 Star, Issue 7496, 2 September 1902 

The Hororata Hotel
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District] 
1903, Christchurch


Gaynor Clayton

Have you seen the Gaynor Clayton portraits? If not, do so. To be seen at the Beattie Bond Studio, Colombo street (late Sorrell's), and the lady photographer is now ready to receive sitters. 

The lady photographer at the Beattie Bond Studio (late Sorrell's), Colombo street, is now prepared to make arrangements with sitters between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. 
Press, Volume LXII, Issue 12143, 15 March 1905 

Dalgety and Company Limited - Managers

An Album of Photographs Presented to
Edward Vincent Reid
Managing Director of
Dalgety and Company Limited 
30 June 1930 

A born leader; and his men,
as one large family, loved
and respected him.

William Sellars Bennett
New Zealand Superintendent of Dalgety and Co. Ltd
photograph by S. P. Andrew, Wellington

born 25 November 1875 son of William Bennett and Sarah Ann Sellars
died 24 November 1976 aged 90 years
buried Waverley Cemetery Row 10 

Mr. W. S. Bennett, formerly of Wellington, and now superintendent in Australia for Dalgety and Co., Ltd., has just completed his 50th year of service as an officer of the company. Mr. Bennett joined the company at Rockhampton on January 16, 1891, when the branch was opened. He became manager at Townsville in 1906 and three years later was transferred to New Zealand, as sub-manager at Wellington. In 1910 he was appointed manager. Early in 1929 he succeeded Mr. W. D. Stewart as superintendent of the company for New Zealand, and on July 1, 1936, he was appointed to his present post of controller of the company's activities in Australia.
Evening Post, Volume CXXXI, Issue 51, 1 March 1941

 Alfred William Arthur Perkins
photograph by Tornquist Portrait Studio, Auckland
Dalgety's Auckland Manager

born circa 1869, reg. 1869/38344 son of Jessie Reid and William Robinson Perkins
died 18 May 1944, 8 Garden Road, Remuera, Auckland

The death has occurred of Mr. Alfred William Perkins, of Remuera, who for many years was a well-known figure in the stock and station agency business. For 28 years he was manager of the Auckland branch of Dalgety and Company, Limited. Born in Southland, Mr. Perkins as a young man gained much experience as an auctioneer in Christchurch. In 1906 he opened a branch of Dalgety and Company at Dannevirke and shortly afterward he was appointed assistant manager for the firm at Napier. He came to Auckland in 1910 as manager of the company's branch and during the time he held the position the business expanded considerably. Mr. Perkins had a number of interests outside the work of his firm. He was chairman of the Auckland Woolbrokers' Association for 14 years and during the last war he was chairman of the Auckland branch of the Imperial Supplies Department. He was a member of the committee of the Auckland Agricultural and Pastoral Association for a number of years. Mr. Perkins retired in 1938 and since then he had supervised his farm in the Te Awamutu district. Since 1939 he had been a city sinking funds commissioner. He is survived by his wife, one son and one daughter.
New Zealand Herald, Volume 81, Issue 24897, 19 May 1944 

James George Herdman
Dalgety's Christchurch Manager
photograph by Claude Ring, Christchurch

born 1871 Dunedin, reg. 1871/482
son of Emma Hepburn Brown and Alexander Herdman
died in 1931

MR J. G. HERDMAN. There will be widespread regret in business and other circles in Christchurch at the death of Mr J. G. Herdman, manager of the Christchurch branch of Dalgety and Co., Ltd., which took place last evening. Some days ago Mr Herdman had a heart seizure, and though he rallied and appeared to have improved, there was a recurrence of the trouble, from which ho did not recover.

Mr Herdman was born in Dunedin in 1871, and was a son of Mr Alexander Herdman, and bank manager in that city. He was a younger brother of Sir Alexander Herdman, of the Supreme Court Bench, and a former Attorney-General of the Dominion.

Mr Herdman, who had practical experience of sheep-farming, having been manager of the Avondale Station in Southland, joined Dalgety and Co., Ltd., 26 years ago as one of the company's auctioneers in Wellington; later he was promoted to the post of manager of the company's Napier branch; and in 1916 he was appointed manager of tho Christchurch branch, succeeding Mr W. D. Stewart, now the company's superintendent in Australia, when he was appointed the company's superintendent in New Zealand.

Since coming to Canterbury Mr Herdman was a prominent member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and was president in 1929-30. He did much valuable work on committees of the Association, and was. a member of the following: Finance, Ground, and Light Horse, and was also a member of the Winter Show Executive.

In 1919-20 Mr Herdman was president of the Canterbury Chamber of Commerce, and afterwards was an honorary member of the Council of the Chamber and a member of the Council's Rural Interests Sectional Committee. He was deeply interested in the affairs of the Presbyterian Church, and at the time of his death he was chairman of the Board of Managers of St. Paul's Church. He was a prominent member of, and took great interest in the  affairs of the Presbyterian Social Service Association, and was chairman of the Finance Committee of the Association. He was a member of the Board of Governors of St. Andrew's College, and was chairman of the Board's Finance Committee. In addition to these activities Mr Herdman was on the directorates of several companies.

Mr Herdman was much interested in various sports, and in his younger days was a keen Rugby football player; cricket and tennis he also played with skill. Mr Herdman is survived by his wife, who was Miss Royds, a sister of Mr J. I. Royds, of Christchurch, and by three daughters, one of whom is Mrs Cameron, of Martinborough.

Exterior of Dalgety and Co building, Christchurch.
by Steffano Webb, 1880-1967 : Collection of negatives. Ref: 1/1-005623-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.

Henry Sydney Lawrence
photograph by Henry Herbert Clifford, Christchurch
Sub-Manager, Christchurch, in 1931 succeeded J. G. Herdman as the Manager of the Christchurch branch of Dalgety and Co. Ltd.

born 4 January 1878 or 1879* Leeston 
son of Lucy Maude Vigers and William Daniel Lawrence
died 1970 aged 95 years, reg. 1970/34380

*H. S. Lawrence WWI military records gives his year of birth as 1879 however the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages gives it as 1878. This birth was not registered until 1932, reg. no. 1932/26909.

The retirement is announced, to take effect as on March 31 next, of Mr H. S. Lawrence, manager of Messrs Dalgety and Company’s Christchurch branch. Mr Lawrence has had a connexion with the company extending over a period of nearly 50 years. He held various positions in the stock branch of the company’s business, and was appointed auctioneer at Christchurch in 1902. After his return from the Great War he was made sub-manager, and on the death of Mr Herdman in July, 1931, he assumed control of the company’s Canterbury, Marlborough. and Nelson territory, for which his extensive and intimate knowledge of the farming business of the provinces so well fitted him. He will be succeeded by Mr Hugh R. Williams, at present manager of the Invercargill branch of the company. Mr Williams joined the service at Otautau in January, 1918, after his discharge from the 1st N.Z.E.F. Later he was assistant auctioneer at Invercargill: and auctioneer at Gisborne in 1925. He was appointed manager of the Gisborne branch in July, 1931. In January, 1938, he was transferred to Invercargill as branch manager. 
Press, Volume LXXX, Issue 24192, 26 February 1944 

Mr H. S. Lawrence Honoured
Presentation made at Fair
Opportunity was taken at the Christchurch Flock Ram Fair, held yesterday at the Addington Show Grounds, to make the presentation of a substantial cheque to Mr H. S. Lawrence, manager of the Christchurch branch of Dalgety and Company, Ltd., who is retiring from business. 

The presentation was made by Mr W. O. Rennie on behalf of a committee representing members of the farming community from Kaikoura to the Rangitata river. Mr Lawrence had been born at Leeston and had joined the staff of Dalgety and Company at the age of 17, said Mr Rennie, He had become well, known as an auctioneer and as manager of the Christchurch branch of his firm. The presentation was being made as a mark of the appreciation of farmers for Mr Lawrence’s unfailing courtesy and the absolute integrity which had always characterised his business dealings.

Mr Rennie called for three cheers for Mr Lawrence, and the big crowd of farmers and auctioneers present responded readily. 

“The bird of time never perches, and I thought it was time that I retired,” said Mr Lawrence, thanking the farmers for their fine gesture. Forty-two years ago he had made his debut as an auctioneer, he continued, and it was appropriate that he should sing his swan-song at the same place as he had started. However, he assured those present that he fully intended to live as long as possible, and that although he would no longer be actively associated with his firm, his knowledge would still be at the disposal of any of his friends who might need it. “I wish you all good-bye and good luck,” concluded Mr Lawrence. 

 Press, Volume LXXX, Issue 24209, 17 March 1944

George Black
Manager Dunedin 1930, later in 1936 Superintendent of Dalgety and Co.

died 6 June 1937 at Wellington

Mr. George Black 
Well-known Business Man 
Stock Agency Career [by Telegraph — Own Correspondent] Invercargill. Sunday 
The death occurred suddenly in Wellington to-day of Mr. George Black, superintendent in New Zealand for Dalgety and Company, Limited. Mr. Black, who was born at Winton 59 years ago, joined the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited, and was later connected with Michael Carr and Company, a firm now out of existence. From there he went to London, where he represented the Loan and Mercantile Agency Company at Smithfield. 

After his return to New Zealand Mr. Black rejoined the Loan and Mercantile Agency Company at Invercargill. In 1906 he joined Dalgety and Company, Limited. He was transferred to Dunedin in 1912 as merchandise manager. On the retirement of Mr. John Lethbridge he was appointed manager. He was made superintendent for New Zealand last year. 

Mr. Black was at one time president of the Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He was a director of the Victoria Insurance Company, Donaghy's Rope and Twine Company, Limited, the West port Coal Company, Limited, the Perpetual Trustee, Estate and Agency Company, Limited, and the National Mutual Life Insurance Company, Limited. 

Mr. Black took a keen interest in music and was a foundation member of the Invercargill Musical Union. In his younger days he was keenly interested in cricket and rowing. His wife died three years ago. He is survived by one daughter [Betty Ellice Black].
New Zealand Herald, Volume LXXIV, Issue 22748, 7 June 1937

John Joseph Heasley
Manager Gisborne from 1926, promoted as Manager at Timaru, October 1931 

died 26 November 1949, Timaru

Frederick St John Loughnan
Manager Invercargill, retired 1938
 photograph by Percival Charles Hazledine, Invercargill

died 14 July 1960 aged 91 years
(ashes - Memorial Park Cemetery, Christchurch)

Thomas Arnold Moodie
Dalgety Manager Napier from January 1925, previously Manager at Palmerston North.

died 1943 aged 65 years, reg. 1943/17106

The superintendent in New Zealand for Dalgety and Company, Limited, Mr. Thomas Arnold Moodie, has died in Wellington, at the age of 56. He became superintendent six years ago in succession to the late Mr. George Black, and was also appointed a member of the New Zealand Wool Committee. Mr. Moodie was a director of the Gear Meat Company, Limited, and a local director of the National Mutual Life Association and the Royal Exchange Assurance Association. He is survived by his wife, one son and one daughter.
Auckland Star, Volume LXXIV, Issue 38, 15 February 1943

Hugh Lowry
Manager Timaru 1924-1931
photograph by Steffano Webb, Christchurch or Timaru

died 16 July 1935 aged 65 years

Mr H. Lowry
(Special to The Press) 
Timaru, July 16, 
One well known in the business and sporting circles, Mr Hugh Lowry, died in Timaru this morning after a long illness. He opened an agency for Dalgety and Company in Stafford street 35 years ago and later became auctioneer and subsequently manager of the branch in 1924, retiring on superannuation in 1931. In his younger days he was well known on the football field and was a good track runner. An original member of the Merivale Football Club, he was also a representative footballer for Canterbury, and as a hurdler also represented the province in amateur athletics. 

Mr Lowry was widely known for the great interest he took in racing. Joining the South Canterbury Jockey Club in 1901, he was elected president in 1912, retiring from the office in 1931. He took a prominent part in having the stand and other buildings erected on the Washdyke course. 

In association with Mr C. S. Fraser he helped to place the club in its present strong position. At the time of his death he was honorary treasurer or the club and a life member. He was also a member of the racecourse trustees. For some years he represented South Canterbury at the Racing Conference. 

Mr Lowry was one of the best known members of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of which he was a life member, being committee continuously from 1903 till his retirement last year when he was acting as honorary treasurer, and he was president in 1914. 

On the resuscitation of the Timaru Trotting Club in 1915 he was elected an honorary judge and later was made a life member. 

Boxing was another of his interests, and he was a member of the Timaru Boxing Association. 

Social activities did not greatly concern him, although he was a member of the South Canterbury Club.

Mr Lowry. who was in his sixty-sixth year, is survived by his widow. Press, Volume LXXI, Issue 21527, 17 July 1935

Henry Neville Eiby
photograph by Gaze and Co., Hamilton
Dalgety Manager in Hamilton, then Wellington and in 1938 Auckland

 son of Peter Waldemar Eiby (Mill Manager) and Ellen Elizabeth Eiby nee Neville
died 1973 aged 87 years, reg. 1973/42113 
a copy of this photograph appeared in the  New Zealand Herald, Volume LXVI, Issue 20147, 7 January 1929

Clarence England
photograph by George Cartwright, Hamilton

born 9 February 1890 Christchurch, reg. 1890/3525
son of Fanny Louisa Aldred and Robert William England
served WWI - 7th Reinforcements to 3rd Battalion, G Company
died 22 January 1967 Christchurch 

Mr C. England, manager of the Cheviot branch of Messrs Dalgety and Co., Ltd. has received notice of his transfer to Hamilton. He will be succeeded at Cheviot by Mr J. F. Tonkin. 
Press, Volume LXV, Issue 19524, 22 January 1929

  Harry Dudley Cooper
Manager Te Kuiti

died 1967, reg. 1967/33410 aged 74 years

Mr. H. D. Cooper, Napier manager for Dalgety and Company, Ltd., has been appointed New Zealand superintendent for the company in succession to the late Mr. T. A. Moodie. Mr. Cooper, who was born in Kent, England, came to New Zealand in 1912. He was engaged in farming for some years and joined Dalgety and Company in 1917. After representing the company as stock agent in different parts of the Auckland Province he was appointed auctioneer at Auckland in 1922. In July, 1928, he became manager at Te Kuiti, and in 19"7 was promoted to the position of manager at Napier with control of the company's business throughout Hawke's Bay and Poverty Bay.
Evening Post, Volume CXXXV, Issue 102, 1 May 1943 

His son Flight Lieutenant Harry Barron Cooper was killed in Italy on 19 February 1945 aged 22 years.

Adolf Braae
Dalgety Manager at Opotiki about 1922 to 1935
then sub-manager for Dalgety and Company, Ltd., in Christchurch

died 1959, reg. 1959/31598 76 years

A. Braae, who will take up his duties as sub-manager for Dalgety and Company, Ltd., in Christchurch on October 1. He has been manager of the firm's Opotiki branch for 13 years.
Press, Volume LXXI, Issue 21557, 21 August 1935

1. not identified
photograph by Broma Studio, Nelson

 Charles Richard Rabbits
 Dalgety Manager at Blenheim

born 13 November 1889
died 1977, reg.  1977/43872

Mr. C. R. Rabbits has been appointed to succeed Mr. W. Payne as Marlborough manager for Messrs. Dalgety and Company. Mr. Rabbits, a Blenheim boy, commenced his commercial life in 1902 with the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, and joined Messrs Dalgety and Company in 1907. 
New Zealand Herald, Volume LXII, Issue 19004, 29 April 1925

John Franklin Tonkin
Manager - Cheviot

died 1960 aged 69 years, reg. 1960/32677

Manager at Cheviot for Dalgety and Co. Ltd and from March 1932 until 1936 Manager of the sub-branch at Whangarei, then in charge of the stock department in Christchurch. In 1938 he was appointed the Manager of the Oamaru branch.

He served during the First World War as Second Lieutenant, Canterbury Infantry Battalion, 4th Reinforcements, he received the Miilitary Cross.

Robert Buchanan Irvine
Manager - Oamaru

died 1 May 1938 at Oamaru, reg. 1938/19394 aged 56 years

Mr. R. B. Irvine (By Telegraph - Press Association.) Oamaru This Day. 
The death occurred yesterday morning in the Oamaru Hospital of Mr. Robert Buchanan Irvine, who for 30 years, until he retired a few months ago, managed the local branch of Dalgety and Co., Ltd. For over a year Mr. Irvine had been in bad health. He left his home about 6.30 on Saturday night, but as he had not returned by 9.30 a search was instituted, and he was found at the Columbia lawn tennis courts with a gunshot wound in his head and a rifle alongside the body. He was taken to hospital, where he died four hours later. The late Mr. Irvine was widely known and highly respected, both by the farming community and his fellow citizens. At one time he represented Otago at Association football. He leaves a widow and a son and daughter. 
Evening Post, Volume CXXV, Issue 101, 2 May 1938

2.  not identified 
J ... Perry / Parry?

3. not identified 
J. A. Anderson?

David Butchart Carrick
retired on 30 Jane 1936 after many years as Manager at Masterton

born Inverness, Scotland
died 14 July 1945 at Masterton aged 81 years

W. H. Hall
Manager, Palmerston North from 1925, 
prevously Manager at Wanganui
photograph by J. E. Lewis, Palmerston North

Hubert Simson Macey
Dalgety's Manager in Wanganui
photograph by Tesla Studio, Wanganui

died 30 October 1963 aged 73 years, reg. 1963/28488

Hubert Simson Macey was previously the accountant for Dalgety in Wanganui until his appointment as Manager in January 1925. He was the son of the photographer William Henry Macey.

Edward Vincent Reid

Death of Mr. E. V. Reid.
The many friends of Mr Edward Vincent Reid, of England, and formerly of Mackay and Rockthampton, Queensland, will regret to hear of his death, which occurred in England on 27 Apl., at the age of 87 years, the sad news being received by cablegram. 

The late Mr Reid was well known in Queensland in earlier years when he was prominently associated with banking and commercial circles, and his outstanding ability and success were freely acknowledged. He went to London in the early 90's to take up a high commercial position and in 1905 was appointed manager of Dalgety and Company, London. In 1909 he was promoted to the position of manager and colonial superintendent with that company and was afterwards elevated to the post of general manager, which he held for 17 years. 

In 1926 he joined the board of Dalgety's as managing director, and four years later was elected deputy chairman. Mr Reid's marked administrative abilities, together with his banking and commercial experience and his first hand knowledge of Australia proved a tower of strength in the important offices he held with such distinction and were of great advan tage to his company. 

Owing to advancing years and impairment of health, Mr Reid severed his active association with Dalgety and Company Limited some years ago and had since lived in retirement in England.
Telegraph (Brisbane, Qld), Friday 1 May 1942, page 3
photo -  Sunday Times (Perth, WA), Sunday 11 December 1927, page 6

 Dalgety and Company Limited

Dalgety and Company Limited was registered in London on 29 April 1884. The company was a joint-stock company incorporating firms which were actively managed by Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety in partnership with other trading individuals. Dalgety became the company's first chairman of directors and remained the largest shareholder until his death. Australian branches were opened in Perth (1889), Albany (1890), Rockhampton (1891), Brisbane (1894), Townsville (1896), Adelaide (1897), Albury (1908), Wagga (1923) and sub-branches in smaller centres. A Superintendent was appointed for New Zealand in 1908 and for Australia in 1914. From 1884 to the Second World War, the company operated as merchants in rural areas, wool brokers, stock and station and shipping agents in Australia and New Zealand. In 1927 Dalgety and Co Ltd acquired the business of W C Hunter in Kenya. On 22 November 1961 the company merged with the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Company Limited to form Dalgety & New Zealand Loan Limited.
Source: Australian National University Archives

Dominion, Volume 6, Issue 1643, 9 January 1913
Dalgety and Co. Ltd, Store, Wellington
Dominion, Volume 6, Issue 1643, 9 January 1913