DIGBY, Spencer Harry Gilbee




Spencer Digby
Prudential Buildings
Wellington

     Spencer Harry Gilbee Digby  
born 26 June 1901
died circa 1995, reg. 1995/45348  





Peggy O'Neill of Wanganui by Spencer Digby




Ison's Portraits


Ison's Portraits
 748 Colombo Street, Christchurch
Arnold Edward Ison
born 11 March 1909, Tamworth, New South Wales
reg. 19396/1909, Tamworth, New South Wales
died circa 1983, reg. 1983/48955, New Zealand 


An experienced portrait salesman is required for a leading New Zealand studio to travel. The successful applicant must be capable of handling and training other salesman. Car, transport from Australia, and excellent remuneration will be supplied. Apart from Sales Manager's position, other applications would also be considered. Principal will be in Sydney from February 1. Write immediately to
Ison's Portraits.
748 Colombo St., Christchurch, N.Z.  
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW) Friday 6 January 1950 page 11

An unidentified man by Ison's Portraits.


1955 - Canterbury Provincial Trades Directory
Ison's Photographic Salon (A. E. Ison), 748a Colombo Street, C.1.

1957 - Wise's New Zealand Post Office Directory, vol. 3: Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough and Westland
Ison A.E., 748b Colombo Street, Christchurch

1962 - New Zealand Post Office, Telephone Directory Christchurch and District
Ison’s for Colour, 748 Colombo Street 88 607: Phone: 88 607

1970 - Christchurch Telephone Directory
Ison's Portrait Photographers, 748 Colombo Street 1, 50288

1975 - UBD - Canterbury Provincial Business & Trade Directory
Ison's Portraits, 750 Colombo Street, City



Dimond and Hart


Dimond and Hart

Dimond and Hart (Joseph Davis Dimond and Stephen Hart), Photo Enlargers and Importers, 49 Tory Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Dimond, Christchurch; Mr. Hart, Tasman Street, Wellington. 

The business was originally established as Dimond Brothers in Melbourne in 1886. In 1891 Mr. J. D. Dimond opened a branch of the business in Adelaide, South Australia, which he subsequently took over on his own account and conducted personally for two years. He came to New Zealand in 1893, and was joined by Mr. Hart, establishing the present firm. The Adelaide business, Mr. Dimond has since sold to Messrs. Dimond Bros, of Melbourne. Messrs. Dimond and Hart transact business throughout the entire Colony, being represented by responsible agents.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District] 1897.
© 2013 Victoria University of Wellington 



 above - the reverse of this wedding photograph hand coloured by Dimond and Hart is inscribed "128/196 Perham N Beach." This is likely to show Mr and Mrs Perham of North Beach, New Brighton, Christchurch.





above - instructions for Dimond and Hart to colour and frame the photograph shown below of George Victor Gudsell and family.


A photograph dating from 1916 or early 1917 by James Alfred Willoughby, Geraldine.

George Victor Gudsell with his wife Lily Louisa Gudsell and their children Vera and Joyce Gudsell. 

George Victor Gudsell, born 7 May 1887 Lincoln Road, Christchurch, died 9 February 1974, 178 King Street, Temuka.
Lily Louisa Early, born 11 January 1884 Broadfields, died 10 November/December 1940 Winchester.
Vera Agnes Gudsell, born 5 October 1914 Geraldine, died 5 July 1926 Winchester aged 11 years.
Frances Joyce Gudsell, born 16 April 1916 Geraldine, died 20 April 2001 Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch.

The New Zealand Photographic Company



(opposite the Establishment of Mr Hague Smith)





 New Zealand Herald, Volume III, Issue 687, 26 January 1866, Page 1



  New Zealand Herald, Volume III, Issue 688, 27 January 1866, Page 1
(this notice continued in the  Daily Southern Cross until 20 February 1866)


The New Zealand Photographic Company, Queen Street, Auckland


TURNER, Nicholas




Nicholas Turner
 Methodist Minister, Photographer


born 22 February 1862 New Wharf, Tonbridge, Kent, England
reg. Mar 1862, Tunbridge (or Tonbridge) vol. 2a page 455
the son of Nicholas Turner (a fruiterer) and Matilda Jupp
arrived Wellington, New Zealand on the "Helen Denny"
sailed Gravesend 9 August 1873 arrived 21 November 1873
died 19 February 1930 aged 67 years
reg. 1930/11374
buried Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch block 31, plot 323

married 
 Emily Emma Davies nee Millar
born circa 1862
died 27 February 1949 aged 87 years
reg. 1949/17980
 buried Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch block 31, plot 323


 The Rev. Nicholas Turner
courtesy of Alan Turner


also see Alva Studio

At the Druids' Hall, Worcester Street, this evening, Mr Nicholas Turner will give a lecture, entitled "Through Beautiful Australasia." The lecture will be illustrated with lantern views.
Star, Issue 7251, 12 November 1901, Page 3

 

Missioner Nicholas Turner, who has been prominently before Wellingtonians recently as the promoter of the Prisoners' Aid Society, and the organiser of the movement which has resulted in the establishment of the Home of Hope for discharged prisoners at Makara, is well-known not only in Wellington, but in Christchurch and Melbourne.

He had much experience in social reform work as an officer of the Salvation Army. He has been of late years an active worker in religious circles in Wellington as the head of the Central Mission, is a member of the Ministers' Association, and acting-secretary of the Council of Churches.

Mr. Turner has been a photographic enthusiast for some twenty years, and for some time prior to coming to Wellington toured the South Island with his camera on behalf of the "Canterbury Times."

Free Lance, Volume V, Issue 224, 15 October 1904, Page 3


Mr. Nicholas Turner, late director of the Central Mission, who has been filling the pastorate of the Methodist Church at Rangiora recently, returned to Wellington this morning. Mr. Turner has been asked to continue in charge of the Rangiora Church until November next, and has accepted the offer. He leaves for the South again, accompanied by Mrs. Turner and their family, next Thursday.
Evening Post, Volume LXX, Issue 81, 3 October 1905, Page 5



Star, Issue 9812, 2 April 1910, Page 11



New Zealand Herald, Volume L, Issue 15355, 17 July 1913, Page 2



Clutha Leader, Volume XLI, Issue 86, 18 May 1915, Page 4



  Press, Volume LIII, Issue 15822, 10 February 1917, Page 1



Wanganui Chronicle, Volume LXVI, Issue 17290, 17 May 1918, Page 7

 
THROUGH PALESTINE WITH MY CAMERA.
The above is the title of the lantern lecture to be given in aid of the "Soldiers' Mothers' Day effort," this evening, in the Opera House, by the Rev Nicholas Turner, who, four years ago, made an extensive tour throughout this land, covering practically all the places traversed and occupied by our troops.

The Napier, Auckland and Christchurch papers, in commenting upon the lecture, spoke highly of the information and pleasure afforded to those who had interest in the movements of our troops there, for many New Zealand homes are well represented in this "New Crusade," and further paid the compliment that "Mr Turner not only made slides, but every slide was a picture, ably and racily described by the lecturer." One hundred and thirty slides in all will be screened, 60 of which will show the actual scenes of our military movements. The object is in furtherance of the Soldiers, Club movement, and a good house is assured. The chair will be taken by his Worship the Mayor (Mr C. E. Mackay).

Wanganui Chronicle, Volume LXVI, Issue 17294, 22 May 1918, Page 6




The Rev. Nicholas Turner will conduct his farewell services to-morrow. 11 a.m. at Aramoho, 7 p.m., Dublin Street. Mr. and Mrs. Turner purpose leaving on Wednesday morning next for Christchurch, in which city he will seek rest until health is restored. Mr. Turner hopes to secure at the coming conference twelve months leave without pastoral charge.
Wanganui Chronicle, Volume LXVI, Issue 17498, 15 February 1919, Page 4


Corporal W. A. Turner, son of the Rev. Nicholas Turner, Lichfield street, returned with the Waimana's draft after an absence of nearly four years. Corporal Turner was engaged for several years on the staff of W. Suckling and Co., photographic dealers in this city [Christchurch] and Auckland.
Press, Volume LV, Issue 16560, 27 June 1919, Page 8 



Oamaru Mail, Volume XLIX, Issue 13891, 20 October 1919, Page 3



Evening Post, Volume C, Issue 149, 21 December 1920, Page 1


Press, Volume LVIII, Issue 17531, 12 August 1922, Page 18

Miss Lucy E. Turner, who is retiring from the Alva Studio, Colombo street, prior to her marriage on the 27th inst., was entertained by the staff of the Studio on Friday. Expressions of regret at her leaving, except for the very happy reason, and kindly wishes for her future were voiced. Mr N. Turner, proprietor, on behalf of all concerned, made Miss Turner a very handsome presentation.
Press, Volume LIX, Issue 17798, 25 June 1923, Page 2



 Press, Volume LIX, Issue 17899, 20 October 1923, Page 2


 Press, Volume LIX, Issue 17908, 31 October 1923, Page 2


Press, Volume LX, Issue 17960, 2 January 1924, Page 2 


 
Bridge of Remembrance
Erected by the citizens of Christchurch to initially honour the sacrifice made during the 1914–1918 Great War, in 1923.



 
Obituary.
Rev. Nathaniel (sic) Turner
(By Telegraph.—Press Association.) Christchurch, this day.

The Rev. Nathaniel (sic) Turner, a well-known minister of the Methodist Church, has died at the age of 70 years.

Mr. Turner was an officer in the Salvation Army before he joined the ministry of the Methodist Church. He was for three years in charge of the East Street Mission in Auckland. When the Chapman Alexander Mission visited this city Mr. Turner was appointed organising secretary, and did his work so well that the evangelists took him for twelve months to perform similar duties during the tour of America.

Returning to New Zealand, Mr. Turner was appointed to the Methodist Church at Gore, but later resigned in order to go into business in Christchurch as a photographer. Mr. Turner was a married man with several children.

Auckland Star, Volume LXI, Issue 43, 20 February 1930, Page 10


High tribute to the valuable services given to the Methodist Church by the late Mr. Nicholas Turner, of Christchurch, was paid last night by the president of the Methodist Conference (the Rev. A. N. Scotter, B.A.), and the Conference passed in silence a resolution of sympathy and condolence with his relatives. Mr. Turner was for some years in charge of the High street Mission, Christchurch, and when the Chapman Alexander Mission left New Zealand, he went Home with Dr. Chapman as his secretary. He afterwards returned to New Zealand and took up a business career.
Evening Post, Volume CIX, Issue 44, 21 February 1930, Page 11




Alva Studios
Rev. Nicholas Turner
 by Alan Turner


he Rev Nicholas Turner was born on February 22, 1862, at New Wharf, Tonbridge, Kent, England. His parents were Nicholas Turner (a fruiterer) and Matilda Jupp both of London. The family migrated to New Zealand on the vessel "Helen Denny", arriving in Wellington in 1873.

 


 "Helen Denny" painted by W Edgar. Layton, Frederick G, d 1923 : Shipping photographs. Ref: 1/4-009632-F. 
Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.  
also see "Helen Denny" by William Clark - National Maritime Museum, Greenwich. 

In 1879, aged only 17, Nicholas began active church work as a Methodist Preacher.  He had gained a very good education in both lay and theological subjects and was described as “a good looking, well read, young Englishman”.  He conducted himself with dignity, spoke well and showed considerable skill as a preacher”.  He became particularly interested in the welfare work of the Salvation Army.

It is not known when or where he met his wife Emily Emma who had previously been married to Henry Walter Davies.  It is recorded that Nicholas arrived in Collingwood, Victoria, Australia in 1883 from New Zealand.  This is the suburb of Melbourne where Emily spent much of her young life and was a member of the Salvation Army. Emily was posted to Launceston, Tasmania in November 1883 and Nicholas to Castlemaine about the same time.

They married in 1884 on August 12. 

Promotion within the Army took Nicholas from Lieutenant to Captain and Major and there were a series of postings around Australia.

There were 12 children, two of whom died in infancy. Nicholas Charles Marten Turner, their eldest son, founded the Christchurch office products, printing and furniture company, Turners Ltd which was carried on by his four sons until the 1970’s when grandchildren took over the management of the business.

The family was very interested in music.  Emily had a good voice; Nicholas played the Organ and the Coronet.  Nicholas jnr. played the trombone, Fred the soprano Coronet, Henry the euphonium, Vic the triangle and percussion, Lucy the organ and Eva an outstanding soprano.  All were better than average musicians.

1883    Arrived in Australia from New Zealand
1884    Farewelled from Collingwood, Vic.  Opening of Castlemaine Corps, Vic. Transfer to Tasmania and Marriage
1885    Ballarat, Vic.  North Fitzroy, Vic
1886    Richmond, Vic
1887    As Captain to Ballarat Prison Gate Brigade Home, Vic
1888    To Prison Gate Brigade Home, Sydney, NSW
1890    To Samaritan and Enquiry Department, N.S.W. Prison Gate Work and Enquiry Dept, Melbourne, Vic
1893    Charge of Pakenham Farm, Victoria
1895    Light Brigade, NSW
1896    Western Division, NSW
1897    Promoted from Staff Captain to Major and to Colony Secretary in Victoria
1898    Division Officer, South Australia
1890    Command of Tasmanian Division (Jan 6 War Cry)
    Appointed to Sydney (NSW) Division (Feb 24 War Cry)

It is undoubted that this transient existence was difficult for both parents and children and young Henry recalled that he lost count of the schools he attended.  Both Henry and his eldest sister Emily were heavily committed to looking after the younger members of the family while Nicholas and Emily Emma attended to Army matters.  At that time the Army made an absolute first call on the time and finances of its officers and its soldiers.  Strict morality and devotion must apply to the family but the Army’s needs had to be put ahead of wife and children.  No officer received his modest salary until all Army commitments for hall rent, power supply and the like had been provided for.

The Turner family shared their parents enforced frugality.  Bread and dripping was often on the menu and clothing was often remade and remade.  As testimony to the scarcity of money in the household, son Henry wrote in later years to his son Winston that his wedding suit when he married was a Salvation Army uniform from which the braid and decoration had been removed.

In 1901 Major and Mrs Turner with their brood returned to New Zealand where Nicholas became the new Commander of the Christchurch Division. 

In March 1901 the Salvation Army Staff Councils were held in Melbourne, at that time the Army’s Australasian Headquarters.  The meetings were under the leadership of the Australasian Territorial Commandant, Herbert Booth, who for some time had been trying to persuade his father, General William Booth, to give him authority to make decisions for the Australasian area instead of referring matters to the International Headquarters in London.  Herbert Booth was finding it difficult to work under his brother Bramwell, who was the Army Chief of Staff.

Major Turner was a member of the New Zealand delegation to these councils and acted as secretary to Bramwell Booth during his term in Australia.  As Staff Captain and Colony Secretary at the Australasian Headquarters in Melbourne he had worked closely with Herbert Booth and the two had rapport.  It is no coincidence that about the time that Herbert Booth split with his father and brother and quit the Army to do evangelical work in the USA Major Turner also resigned to do Evangelical work in New Zealand the UK and USA. 

He returned to New Zealand from the Councils in early April 1901 and the last reference to him in the War Cry is dated April 27, reporting a meeting he led in Ashburton.  He must have left the Army very soon after.

Nicholas returned to the Social work that he most enjoyed and found most rewarding about June 1901 and was working for the Methodist Church in the active role of an evangelist and social worker from then.

Between 1906 and 1908 he conducted the Wellington Central Mission and he built the Wellington Central Mission Band into an outstanding group, which went on tour throughout New Zealand.  It was reported to have been the finest brass band possessed by any religious organisation in the Dominion at the time.  The Wellington City Council regarded it so highly that it was paid an annual subsidy in exchange for regular concerts at band rotundas at Newtown Park, Oriental Bay, and the Boulcott St Gardens and at Lyall Bay.  Rev Nicholas Turner became a well-known figure in the city, leading the band through the streets.

In 1909 Nicholas was accepted into the Methodist ministry of New Zealand and his first appointment at the Durham Street Methodist Church, Christchurch.

The East Street Mission had been opened in Auckland in 1904.  In 1913 Nicholas was sent there but it is recorded in the minutes of the mission that he was granted 10 months leave of absence to go abroad as the organising secretary of the Chapman-Alexander Mission to the British Isles.  Dr Chapman and Mr Alexander were prominent evangelists in the UK and the Rev Turner was to join their crusade.  He was to meet Dr Chapman in New York and after a conference would travel to London and then Glasgow. It is believed that he sailed from New Zealand on August 1, 1913 upon the Niagara, travelling via Suva and Honolulu to Canada.  The passenger list shows that he travelled “Second Saloon.” His route took him via Fiji, Hawaii, Vancouver, Canadian Rockies, Niagara, and various American cities to London.

Whilst in the USA he is understood to have preached at various venues at the invitation of Herbert Booth.

Two dates are recorded for his arrival in Glasgow to join the mission, Sept 5th, and September 20th, 1913; which is correct is unknown.

In Scotland Nicholas also preached with the Church of the Covenanters, a religious order allied to the Presbyterian Church and with a history going back to the time of Cromwell and Charles II.

Following the completion of his obligations to the mission, in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen, he returned to New Zealand after April 6th, travelling via London, Paris, Genoa, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Jaffa, Jerusalem, Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Bethlehem, Jericho, Dead Sea, and Egypt. He joined the ship Otway at Port Said, Egypt on April 22, 1914, and visited Colombo during the final leg of his travels. He reached New Zealand about the end of May 1914 as newspapers record two evening talks given by him in Auckland on the 7th and 14th of June that year as well as “wireless messages” on those same Sunday mornings, so we can conclude that he had reassumed his normal pastoral obligations.





New Zealand Herald, Volume LI, Issue 15750, 27 October 1914, Page 8




During his travels he took many photographs and was able to use these and his experiences in his lectures and his preaching for the rest of his life.  He illustrated his lectures with pictures and slides that he had taken, and advertisements for his lectures report the showing of up to 200 slides. These photographs were known to remain with members of the family until at least the mid 1900’s but whether they still exist is quite unknown.



He returned to the Auckland Mission at the end of May 1914, only months before the outbreak of World War I.  Sons Fred and Vic both served in the medical corps. Vic was one of the final handful or men to leave Gallipoli being ready to provide medical care to the last boatload of evacuees.

In 1915 the Rev Nic was sent to Gore, returning to Christchurch the following year and then in 1918 moving to the North Island.  1919 saw him without “pastoral charge” but in 1920 he was pastor at Johnsonville. The following year he had moved to Woodville.  From newspaper clippings it is clear that he also preached in Dannevirke.

In 1923 with his health failing he retired from the ministry aged 61.

His later years were spent in the same financial situation as most of his life.  There was no pension in recognition of his long years of service.  He found it impossible to settle and moved with his devoted Emily from one member of his family to another. 

Finally Nicholas settled in Christchurch where he ran a photographic studio – Alva Studio.  Throughout his life he had been an expert in photography working in the earlier days with cumbersome wet plates.
 


The Rev. Nicholas Turner
courtesy of Alan Turner



In earlier years he was to put his photographic skills to use when the Salvation Army produced a remarkable film, “Soldiers of the Cross” which son Henry also claimed to have had a hand in.

The story of the making of this film is told in a book by Eric Reade, “the Australian Screen,” a pictorial history of Australian film making published by Landsdowne Press in 1975.  To quote:
“Joseph Perry was an adjutant in the Limelight Division of the Salvation Army in Melbourne (set up on June 11, 1892) and was keen to overcome the soulless magic lantern projecting static slides.”

“Born in Birmingham 1864, he went to New Zealand with his parents at the age of 11.  He became an officer of the Salvation Army in Dunedin, then came to Australia.  On June 11, 1892 he was appointed Officer in Charge.  With his wife he gave lectures with a magic lantern with a three-burner kerosene lamp.  At that time the Limelight Division had that one lantern, 300 slides and a staff of one, Perry”.  

“In 1896 Commander Herbert Booth, son of General Booth, was appointed to command the Australasian Territory.  He realised the potential of the French “Lumiere Cinematographe” and set Perry to study this new medium which added motion to pictures.  He filmed documentaries and films on the social work of the Army so successfully that Herbert Booth wrote a film play, “Soldiers of the Cross.”
The technology had been developed by the French Lumiere brothers a year earlier.
“It has been claimed that this was the first full length film in the World.  Various film historians have disagreed but no conclusive proof to the contrary has been supplied.”

What can be established is that in 1899, in a studio on the outskirts of Paris a ten-part version of the trial of French army officer Alfred Dreyfus was filmed and Cinderella (1900) in 20 scenes.  Most movies at this time were very short, one or two reels only.  It was not until 1912 that the first full length movies were made when independent producers in Europe and the United States formed their own production and exhibition companies and broke away from the Motion Picture Patents Company which was controlling the industry.  They exhibited full-length feature films such as Quo Vadis (1912) from Italy, and Queen Elizabeth (1912) from France.

“The film was presented to the Melbourne Town Hall on September 13, 1900.  It was a wet night but 4000 people attended and were enthralled with what they saw – martyrs sacrificed, thrown into burning lime, burned at the stake or fed to wild beasts.”

Henry Turner remembered details of the making of these scenes and the parts he took in them. According to the War Cry of September 22, the best part of “The Soldiers of the Cross” was the reproduction of events in the Coliseum. Undaunted Christians clustered together to pray, then fell back in terror as a ferocious lion was let loose on them. Remember that this picture by Perry was long before the days of Cecil B De Mille, and cost only $1,200 to produce.

“Most of “The Soldiers of the Cross” was filmed on the tennis court of Belgrave House, a Salvation Army home for girls at 1219 Dandenong Road, Melbourne, close to what is now Chadstone Shopping Centre.  Taken with a Lumiere Cinematographe that Perry had urged the Salvation Army to import direct from Paris, the finished film of 5,000 ft (1522 m) was projected on 60 foot (18m) spools. Vividly coloured slides gripped the attention of the audience while the spools were changed.”

“Painted scenery draped over the netting surrounding the tennis court provided the necessary backgrounds.  But it was the ingenuity of Joseph Perry that promotes admiration even today.  He covered huge crowd scenes with the dexterity of a seasoned producer.”

“The people were pelted with cloth stones; Christians who refused to renounce their faith were prodded with cardboard spears to force them to jump into a pit of burning lime.  Puffs of smoke rising from the pit were puffs of steam from a boiler forced though tubing.  When the martyrs jumped into the pit they landed on a mattress out of camera range.”


1901 was to see an unfortunate incident that was to take “Soldiers of the Cross” from its country of origin.  Herbert Booth resigned over a disagreement in policy and purchased the film outright for $600, half of what it cost.  When Herbert Booth left on the Orizaba on September 3 for New York the film left with him.  He later exhibited it throughout the USA but searches in recent years have failed to find the film.  The vividly coloured slides associated with the film were found in America and are now in the National Film Library in Canberra, Australia.

So much for “Soldiers of the Cross” a film which Major Turner had enthusiastically supported, and in which he had encouraged Herbert Booth with the benefit of his expert photographic knowledge.

Perry subsequently produced a number of films in a glass roofed studio at the rear of the Salvation Army headquarters at 169 Bourke St Melbourne, one being a film on coaching in New Zealand inspired by Nicholas Turner.

In 1906 the relationship between Nicholas Turner and Joseph Perry was renewed when the first talking pictures were made using the Cinephone.  Perry took moving pictures of the 1906 Christchurch Exhibition, including Fijians doing a war dance and Maoris doing haka and a poi dance and linked them to gramophone recordings.  This predates the first sound films made by Warner Bros 20 years later in 1926 using the Vitaphone process which recorded music and spoken passages on large discs which were synchronised with the action on screen.  The first sound film released for public exhibition was the Jazz Singer in 1927.

Nicholas also concocted a publicity stunt giving a recital by his Wellington Mission Brass Band to bed-ridden patients over the telephone in the same year.

Nicholas continued to operate the Alva Photographic Studio in Victoria Square until his health deteriorated to the point where he could no longer work.  The children banded together and helped to provide for their parents.  Nicholas spent his last days with Emily at a small cottage at 6 Dampier Street, Woolston, Christchurch, just off Ferry Road where he died aged 68 on February 19, 1930.

Pallbearers at his funeral were members of the Orange Lodge which he had been a member of since the age of 17.  He was a past Grand Master of the Lodge and whilst a young Salvation Army Officer had become involved in the dissension between Irish Catholics and Protestants in Victoria, Australia.




LATE REV. N. TURNER.
THE FUNERAL. The funeral of the late Rev. N. Turner left his late residence, 6 Dampier street, Woolston, for the Bromley Cemetery on Saturday afternoon.
The chief mourners were the widow, Messrs N. C. M. Turner, F. Turner, and Herbert Turner (Christchurch), Mrs H. Fulton and Mr S. Turner (Dunedin), Mrs S. Hildreth and Mr H. Turner (Wellington), Mrs W. Parker and Messrs V. Turner and A. Turner (Auckland). Mr Turner had been a member of an Orange Lodge since he was 17, and was a Past Grand Master of No. 3 Lodge, and the pall-bearers were members of his Lodge and of No. 5 District Lodge (Canterbury).
The Rev. B. Metson conducted the service at the house and at the graveside. Bro. E. Hudson, chaplain of No. 3 Orange Lodge, conducted an Orange service at the graveside. Amongst those who attended were members of the Orange Lodges, the Rev. J. Melbourne Stewart (Tennyson street Congregational Church), the Rev. J. Guy,  Brigadier A. J. Marshall and Adjutant H Goffin (Salvation Army), and Mr J. Patten (Wellington).
Wreaths were sent by the following. His loving wife, Herb and Win, Mrs Busing, Mr and Mrs Turnbull, Fred and May, Mr W. Britten, Vic and Grace, Harry and Annie (Brisbane), Mr and Mrs A. Britten, Olive Smith, Nick and Maud Mr and Mrs H. A. Sutcliffe, Hugh and G. K. Neil, Mr and Mrs Hildreth (Wellington), Eva and Harry, Stan and Vic Art and Mavis, Lucy and Wilf, Em and Stan, Mr and Mrs Andrews, Mrs Parsons, Orange Lodge No. 3, Orange Lodge No. 5, Royal Black Preceptory, and the Woolston Band.
Press, Volume LXVI, Issue 19861, 24 February 1930


OBITUARY.
THE REV. N. TURNER. 
The death occurred on Wednesday evening last of the Rev. Nicholas Turner, a Christchurch Methodist minister. Mr Turner was a native of Tonbridge Wells, England, coming to New Zealand with his parents as a boy in the ship Helen Denny, receiving his early education here. From the age of 17 he was a local preacher in the Methodist Church. As a young man he went over to Victoria and joined the Salvation Army, rapidly rising to the rank of major. He at various times held important territorial commands in Victoria, New South Wales, and South Australia.
 
Later he was transferred to the Christchurch Division, from which he resigned his commission and re-entered the Methodist Church. For many years he laboured in the Durham Street Circuit, and he had been stationed in many circuits throughout New Zealand, including Gore and Oamaru, while he had on occasions occupied the pulpit of the various Methodist churches in Dunedin. Mr Turner was responsible for the formation of the Wellington Central Mission about 25 years ago, an organisation that had by repute the finest brass band possessed by any religious organisation in the Dominion at that time, and he was a familiar figure marching at head of his band through the Wellington streets each Sunday evening.
 
He removed to Auckland, and while in charge of the Methodist Central Mission he was chosen as organising secretary for the Chapman-Alexandra Mission in the British Isles, and while on that tour had the distinction of preaching in the Church of the Covenanters in Scotland. He had also preached in many churches in the United States. On the completion of the tour he returned to New Zealand, and continued in his pastoral work until ill-health compelled him to retire from regular church work.
 
Mr Turner has held many high offices in the Loyal Orange Lodge of Christchurch, of which he has been a prominent member for many years. He is survived by his widow and a large family comprising Messrs N. C. M. F. J., and Herbert Turner (Christchurch), Mrs W. Parker, and Messrs H. V. and A. W.Turner (Auckland), Mrs S. Hildreth and Mr H. Turner (Wellington), and Mrs H. Fulton and Mr Stan Turner (Dunedin).




 Entry in Christchurch Telephone Directory 1922


Family

Nicholas Turner married 12 August 1884 at the Parsonage, Christian Mission Church, Launceston, Tasmania, Emily Davies nee Millar, widow of Henry Davies aged 23 years.



1. Henry Walter Davies Turner (stepson of Nicholas) born 30 September 1881, married 1905, reg. 1905/1912, Annie Elizabeth Hildreth daughter of Elizabeth and Elizabeth and William Thomas Hildreth, Mayor of Karori.

2. Nicholas Charles Marten Turner (printer) born circa 1885, (Ballarat, Australia?) died 28 September 1939, buried Bromley Cemetery, block 15 plot 379 aged 54 years, reg. 1939/22600 aged 54 years, married circa 1910, reg. 1910/1515, Maud Parsons. 


3. Frederick James Turner born 29 May 1886 (printer), died 22 February 1965 aged 78 years, reg. 1965/24762 buried Bromley Cemetery block 31, plot 323 (with his parents), married Bertha May … she died 16 August 1983 aged 97 years, buried Bromley Cemetery block 31, plot 323

4. Arthur Turner born circa 1889 reg.100/1889 Sydney

5. Emily Matilda Turner born circa 1890, reg. 25669/1890 Newtown, NSW, died 18 December 1951, Christchurch,  married 30 December 1914 at East Street Methodist Mission, James Henry Stanley Hildreth second son of Elizabeth and William Thomas Hildreth, Mayor of Karori to (Emily - eldest daughter of the Rev. Nicholas Turner of Belgium Street, Auckland), reg. 1914/4371.

6. Horace Victor Turner “Vic” (linotype operator, Sun Publishing Co. Christchurch) born 17 May 1892 Richmond, Victoria, Australia, died 17 June 1984 Wellington, reg. 1984/33287, married firstly circa 1920, reg. 1920/2904, Grace Merle Britten born 4 February 1895, German Bay, reg. 1895/3826 daughter of Catherine Louisa Pidgeon and George Britten, died 18 April1938 Hastings aged 43 years, he married secondly 11 October 1941 at St Francis, Woodford House, Havelock North, Ruth Margaret Small, daughter of Hugh Small of Hastings.

7. Eva Coraline Turner born 3 June 1896, reg. 24243/1896 Orange, married 1920 or 1922 reg. 1920/10758 or 1922/5687 Harry Fulton. 

8. Lucy Edith Turner born 25 June 1898 Adelaide, died 15 April 1940 Wellington aged 42 years, wife of Wilfred Parker.

9. Herbert Turner born 8 October 1900, possibly at Forester Lodge, Sydney, Australia reg. 31359/1900 Glebe, married Winifred Richardson or Winnifred Edith Richardson 13 January 1927, reg. 1927/6999 [Johnsonville, Wellington?]

10. Stanley Gladstone Turner born 13 January 1904, Wellington, reg. 1904/5900, died 1 December 1979, Hastings, reg. 1979/46962, married circa 1929, reg. 1929/6129, Violet Anthony Dixon.

11 and 12 - two others William and Arthur who both died in infancy.



 The Rev. Nicholas Turner and family


 standing at back - 1. Frederick James Turner; 2. Henry Walter Davies; 3. Nicholas Charles Marten Turner.
front - 4. Arthur Turner; 5. Stanley Gladstone Turner; 6. Emily Emma Turner; 7. Lucy Edith Turner; 8. Emily Matilda Turner; 9. Herbert Turner; 10. Rev Nicholas Turner; 11. Eva Coraline Turner 12. Horace Victor Turner.
 photograph courtesy of Alan Turner


 
Evening Post, Volume CXXIX, Issue 90, 16 April 1940, Page 1

Mr. Henry W. Turner, eldest son of Mr. Nicholas Turner, of the Central Mission, was married at the Taranaki street Methodist Church yesterday afternoon by the Rev. H. L. Blamires, assisted by Mr. Turner, to Miss Annie Hildreth, eldest daughter of Mr. Wm. Hildreth. The bride was attended by Misses J. and N. Hildreth and Eva and Lucy Turner, and Messrs. N. and F. Turner assisted the bridegroom at the marriage service.

The wedding breakfast, which was partaken of by some 160 guests, was held in the Masonic Hall, and numerous toasts were proposed and responded to. In the evening a social gathering was held. Amongst the many presents received was one given to the bride by Mr. Hildreth's employees, and the firm and staff of Messrs. H. O. Hewitt and Co. presented the bridegroom, who is attached to the firm's Masterton agency, with a Wertheim sewing machine, bearing a plate suitably inscribed.
Evening Post, Volume LXX, Issue 59, 7 September 1905, Page 4



Nicholas Charles Marten Turner - by Alan Turner
Before coming to New Zealand, Nic gained experience in the printing industry through working with F. Burmeister and Co. Adelaide and at William Brooks Ltd, Sydney. His first work in New Zealand was with the Government Printing Office and later in Christchurch he joined the staff of Whitcombe and Tombs Ltd.  On leaving there he joined the jobbing department of the Lyttelton Times.

In 1918 Nic went into business on his own, selling his home to raise the necessary funds, and purchased the business of the late Mr Theo Cox located at 625 Colombo St, which he soon expanded and he moved to the corner of Tuam and Colombo Streets where the Turners Ltd business continued to grow over many years, expanding to cover retail and wholesale commercial stationery, office furniture (manufactured by Lomak Furniture, a company acquired in 1932), and office machine sales and service in addition to printing.  His four sons Basil, Noel, Desmond and Laurie all joined the business and subsequently 7 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.  The business was sold in 1995.



WILLIAMS, Havelock


Havelock Arthur Williams 
(1884-1968) 


Havelock Williams
photograph courtesy of Diana Rhodes
Havelock Williams was born in Wellington the son of John Havelock Williams and Hannah Williams nee Sharp. The family moved to Christchurch in 1889 and in about 1909 he moved to Timaru to play in Timaru's first permanent vaudeville and cinema show. Later he established a photographic studio at 276 Stafford Street, Timaru. 

On the retirement of William Ferrier he took over the photographic work for the Timaru Harbour Board and was the official photographer for Rodolph Wigley's Mount Cook Motor Company. The studio closed about 1936 or 1940. In 1940 S. A. Bremford was operating from the address.
from Havelock Williams 1884-1968 With My Camera for Company - edited by Diana Rhodes 2003 Hazard Press Ltd




Havelock Arthur Williams married 1stly about 1905, reg.  1905/5460 to Edith Elizabeth Miller.

issue: 
1. Arthur John Havelock Williams  born 29 July 1905,  reg. 1905/22755, died 29 May 1981, reg.  1981/36015, buried Fairhall Cemetery, Marlborough 2. Wallis George Williams  born circa 1907, reg. 1907/4783,  died circa 1934, reg 1934/8346 aged 27 years
3. Ronald Dudley Williams born circa 1908, reg.   1908/14917, died circa 1913, reg 1913/5455 aged 4 years


Mabel Dorothy Grace (1895-1982)
photographed by her brother Havelock Williams.
Photograph courtesy of Diana Rhodes




Among the fine groups of photos in the practice room of the South Canterbury Battalion Band, may now be seen a handsomely framed enlarged photograph of the band in attendance at the camp held at the Timaru Park in October last [1910]. The photo and mounting is the work of Mr Lock Williams of this town. It was presented by him to the band, and reflects great credit on his artistic ability.
Timaru Herald, Volume XCIV, Issue 14517, 12 August 1911, Page 2


Mr A. Chiaroni, of the Art Depot, Arcade, wishes to inform the public that owing to the expiry of his tenancy he sold out yesterday his entire stock, to Mr Lock (sic) Williams, Stafford Street, for whom he bespeaks a continuance of the patronage that has been accorded to him.
Timaru Herald, Volume XCVI, Issue 14925, 18 December 1912, Page 11


Timaru Herald, Volume XCVI, Issue 14929, 26 December 1912, Page 2


 Timaru Herald, Volume XCVIII, Issue 15179, 24 October 1913, Page 10



Visitors to the Art Exhibition should bestow a glance upon the photography exhibits on the left hand side of the entrance hall. Some of these are artistically as well as skilfully done. The unusual lighting effects, and the mezzotint tone of some of Mr H. Williams's studies are particularly noteworthy.

Timaru Herald, Volume XCVIII, Issue 15180, 25 October 1913, Page 8


 Timaru Herald, Volume XCVIII, Issue 15184, 30 October 1913, Page 11



A Clever Invention.
 What the Phonograph is to the ear in the domestic circle, Edison's Kinetoscope is likely to become to the eye. Mr Havelock Williams has obtained the agency for these miniature biograph machines, and when he gave in the narrow limits of his shop window, a "demonstration" on Saturday evening, the footpath was blocked by an eager and admiring crowd. It is a wonderful little machine, worthy of Edison's genius. The whole apparatus can be easily carried under the arm, yet it will produce a picture 10ft by 8ft. In the demonstration the picture on the screen could have been measured in inches and if enlarged to feet would not have been so bright and clear, but as shown the picture were large enough to be well seen, by a considerable number of people.

The film pictures are surprisingly small — three rows of them with spares between, on a film of ordinary width, of course they are much shorter than a picture-house film, shorter in subject, and shorter for the subject, the pictures being so minute. So that a "reel" is less than three inches in diameter.

The demonstration proved that the Kinetoscope is a practicable instrument, and with a system of "reel-exchange" to lessen the running cost, it seems likely to have a career. Mr Williams used an electric light, with a miniature arc light but other lights can be used.
Timaru Herald, Volume XCVIII, Issue 15212, 2 December 1913, Page 4


Masters Arthur and Wallace Williams, sons of Mr Havelock Williams, entertained about twenty of their young friends at a moving picture entertainment in the father's studio last Friday evening.
Timaru Herald, Volume C, Issue 15313, 4 April 1914, Page 3




THE GRAND ... On Monday next the management intend screening as a special attraction a nature study of a nursery of sea-mews [birds]. This picture has been taken at the head of the Washdyke Lagoon by Mr Lock Williams.
Timaru Herald, Volume CIV, Issue 15872, 29 January 1916, Page 5

 
He [Councillor Murphy] would not advocate a big expenditure on the Bay [Caroline Bay] as the Council could not afford it, but necessities must be provided if the Bay was to hold its own against other resorts. He approved of the suggestion of Mr Lock Williams that the Council should subsidise the taking of some pictures of the Bay for exhibition on picture screens; it would be an excellent method of advertising the Bay.
Timaru Herald, Volume CVI, Issue 16194, 13 February 1917, Page 9
 


That the Council accept Mr H. Williams's offer for advertising Timaru by means of pictures to be approved of by the committee, cost not to exceed £20.
Timaru Herald, Volume CVI, Issue 16217, 13 March 1917, Page 3


THE GRAND. The Grand Trio played a special overture last night, and the large audience loudly applauded this very fine selection. The first picture shown was a local picture, taken by the manager of the Grand, Mr H. Williams, and showed scenes connected with the visit of the hospital ship Marama on Friday last. The photography is wonderfully good and clear, the happenings being shown very plainly. Among the many items shown are the High School Cadets, the nurses on board, and the crowd on the wharf. Many people in the audience easily recognised themselves in the crowd. A very good Gazette, dealing chiefly with the war, was next screened, and was followed, by another Metro Travelogue ...
Timaru Herald, Volume CVI, Issue 16217, 13 March 1917, Page 5


At Mr F. Nash's (who has kindly lent his window for the purpose), a very fine display of photographs may be seen. These photographs are from the studio of Mr Havelock Williams, and they present a very graphic illustration of the spectacular reveille to be given at Waimate on Monday night next ...
Timaru Herald, Volume CVIII, Issue 16960, 21 October 1919, Page 2



 Timaru Herald, Volume CVIII, Issue 17002, 12 December 1919, Page 4



 Timaru Herald, Volume CVIII, Issue 170147, 20 February 1920, Page 1

 
The vestibule of the Art Exhibition contains some really artistic studies showing views of the West Coast, Mount Cook, and the Southern Alps and various other beauty spots of the South Island.

These are the work of Mr Havelock Williams, and are samples of art colour and photographic production that will afford many of the pleasures of the superb paintings in oils with a trueness to life which only great masters can give to the canvas.

In the Mount Cook district there is a fine view of a kea standing on the slopes of a glacier; a clear, vibrant picture of Mount Cook itself, with its atmosphere still and silence-conveying, with its eternal snows glistening in a summer suset (sic). The Hockstetter ice running into the Tasman Glacier is also shown; a high-country musterer is seen standing with a contemplative gaze on the Sealey (sic) Range, and Malte Brun and a Lake Tekapo sundown all give a panoramic idea of our high country.

A well-known M.P. is also on view walking behind a large flock towards the setting sun. Other views show Stewart Island, a pastoral study at Cave, the Buller Gorge, and the Cosmos, in the Dart Valley, on Routeburn, to Milford Sound.

There is also a good display of artistic portraiture, character being the predominant feature that the artist has tried for and has succeeded in depicting.
Timaru Herald, Volume 170, Issue 170217, 13 May 1920, Page 7


"a fine view of a kea standing on the slopes of a glacier; a clear, vibrant picture of Mount Cook itself, with its atmosphere still and silence-conveying, with its eternal snows glistening in a summer sunset"
 photograph courtesy of Diana Rhodes



Over Waiho Glacier.
Flight by Aeroplane

(By Telegraph - own Correspondent.) HOKITIKA. this day.
Captain Buckley, with an Avro aeroplane, who is here in connection with the Exhibition, flew South on Tuesday evening. He left Hokitika Beach at four o'clock for Waiho glacier, which was reached in an hour. His passengers were Dr.Terchelmann [sic] (Dr. Ebenezer Teichelmann), and Mr. Havelock Williams, of Timaru. The glacier was traversed by the flying machine and photographed, but the high mountains were too cloudy for photography. The aeroplane landed at Okarito Beach for the night. Yesterday the aeroplane had to be transported across the river to the north beach to secure a better taking-off ground.

This was safely accomplished on a punt and boats, and in the evening the aeroplane, with its party, returned to Hokitika, having done the trip in 45 minutes. The trip is described as the most enjoyable. The whole West Coast with mountains in the background, presented a wonderful sight. The varied character of the bush and lake scenery were quite enchanting as seen from the air.
Auckland Star, Volume LV, Issue 20, 24 January 1924, Page 7



In connexion [sic] with the Empire Exhibition, [British Empire Exhibition 1924-25] recently the Timaru representative of the "The Press" was given a private view of 36 pictures of the famous South Island beauty spots. These pictures are photographs, size 32in by 22in, artistically and naturally coloured, and are the work of Mr Havelock Williams, of Timaru.

Mr Williams has been engaged by the White Star Services, Ltd., to produce the pictures, and the company is lending them to the New Zealand Government for hanging at the Exhibition. They are flamed in gold, and have aroused a good deal of interest in art circles in Timaru. The pictures give a very comprehensive idea of South Island scenery, the glimpses are given of the Franz Josef Glacier, Mount Cook, Milford Sound, the West Coast, Akaroa, Westland, Nelson, and similar tourist haunts.

From an art point of view alone, the pictures will arouse great interest at the Exhibition, and the publicity value will be incalculable. The collection should have a widespread effect in advertising the claims of the South Island throughout the world. The collection will leave New Zealand next week by the last boat taking exhibits.
Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, Volume XCIV, Issue 5171, 11 March 1924, Page 2






  

Agnes Elizabeth Scott  
born 10 April 1923 in Timaru, the daughter of David Copeland Scott and Sarah Elizabeth Gudsell.







Winners of 11 1/2 st. Canterbury Championship
Christchurch, 1928.
standing at back: P. Knowles.
front left to right: C. Knowles (Captain), P. Kerr, C. Knowles (Junr), S. Blue and E. Sprott. (not pictured T. Anglem)



 


  Mary Ethel Gudsell 
born 17 December 1891 in Christchurch, 
died 22 July 1982 in Timaru. 
Married David Copeland Scott in 1927.

  Georgina Isabel Henderson
daughter of John Henderson and Georgina Pearce of Leye’s Farm, Milford,
born 29 October 1906 Ashburton
died 13 November 1990 Christchurch
buried Waimairi Cemetery, Christchurch, Block number: Lawn Plot number: 443

married 30 September 1936 Trinity Presbyterian Church, Temuka
James Ivan Nicholls Bolitho










With My Camera for Company: 
Adventures & Images of a Pioneering New Zealand Photographer
edited by Diana Rhodes


Amazon.com
One hundred years ago, Havelock Williams bought an Underwood Studio Camera and set himself up as a professional photographer. Born in the North Island in 1884, Williams died in the North Island in 1968, but he spent about half a century as a South Island Cantabrian, and a husband, father, photographer and musician, in what his daughter and biographer Diana Rhodes often calls his first life. Her mother, her four siblings and she all belong to Havelock's second life, which began in the North Island at a point when most men are considering retirement. This is an unusual book, because it contains the fascinating stories from Havelock William's first life, written at the end of his second life. As an old man, he committed these stories to paper in the 1960s but they remained unattended until the 1990s. In the past 10 years Diana has edited, researched and illustrated them, more than one hundred years after the events in the first story took place. The stories are a mixture of personal reminiscence and New Zealand history, told by one who was not only there, but who recorded it with what he called the third optic his camera. He must have known that he had captured photographic images of so many of his stories, but it never occurred to him that the pictures could later be located, identified and used to illustrate them. Diana's undertaking to research, identify and bring the two dimensions together has resulted in a charming and compelling story illustrated with photographs that are in many cases the first of their kind taken in New Zealand, and which provide an extraordinary glimpse into the many realms Williams' camera took him, from theater to skies over more than fifty years.